2006 Polaris Hawkeye 4x4

Discussion in 'Polaris ATV' started by zzz, Jun 18, 2006.

1. zzz

zzz Guest

FULL-SIZED FEATURES IN A MIDSIZE ATV - [Polaris Industries]

HAWKEYE 4X4 FEATURES
    • Powerful air-cooled/oil-assisted, carbureted, single-cylinder Polaris 300 engine
    • Selectable 2WD/AWD with on-demand AWD
    • IRS with 8"/20.3 cm of wheel travel and 8"/20.3 cm of ground clearance
    • Towing capacity: 750 lb./340.2 kg
    • 170 lb./77.1 kg rack capacity (70 lb./31.8 kg front, 100 lb./45.4 kg rear)
    • Industry-leading Polaris Variable Transmission with lifetime limited belt warranty
    • Standard digital speedometer/odometer/tripmeter/hourmeter
    • Integrated front storage compartment
    • Steel front bumper
    • Long-Travel MacPherson front suspension
    • Maxxis tires
    • Tough composite body components
    • Hydraulic disc front & rear brakes
    • Receiver hitch
    • Brake lights
    • Lock & Ride accessory compatible
    • Comfortable ergonomics for easy riding
    • Colors: Black/Silver, Green/Black

[more details]

Attached Files:

2. hfdhog

hfdhog Junior Member

Would like to let everyone know to stay away from the Hawkeye if you are riding in the mountains. Bought the wife one and it will not run right in the mountains! I took it to the local Polaris dealer in Lake City, CO to get it re-jetted to the correct elevation. The service tech told me they had done two Hawkeye's prior to mine with multiple jets and could never get them to run correctly. He was right.:eek: The wife had to ride doubles with me for a week in the Rockies. We were not going to let it ruin our trip. We will be headed back to our local Polaris dealer to see what he can do about upgrading this bike for one that will work. I will let ya'll know how it goes.
  3. Mike

Mike User Title For Rent Staff Member

Thanks for the update.

Would probably look toward a fuel injected model if possible.
  4. tudball

tudball Member

One problem I have with the Hawkeye, is there is no High Low range selection. Any time you run an ATV under 20mph (trails and mud) you should always use low range this will help your clutch life and is even more important with an automatic bike. Running any automatic in high range, will grove the clutch and blow out you springs. Not to say this is always the case, but from what I have seen it is a real problem, and a down side to an automatic, with out high/low range
  5. Mike

Very good point, and this is a bad habit many people get into simply from not knowing any better.
  6. nursecristi

nursecristi Junior Member

I am looking at this ATV for me to ride. I am a small female (117 Lbs) with 2 years experience riding. I do most of my riding in texas and arkansas where we climb some pretty steep and rocky hills but without the elevation changes associated with colorado. Would this be a good 4 wheeler for me?
  7. Mike

It would probably be fine for you, but I would look for a fuel injected bike first if it were me.
  8. tudball

tudball Member

I would agree, with Mike. Something I am sure his wife would not do LOL. The hawkeye is a good bike, but for me the fuel injection is not a problem, where I live in Canada. But my issue like I said before, is the lack of no low range. My wife just this year got a 06 450 sportsman. I do not know what the pricing is like in the States, but here in Canada, the sportsman was 500 dollars more. For the you get 150cc more better suspension and the PVT the hawkeye has a cvt tranny, the same as in a chainsaw. If I were you I would look at a little bigger bike, and go with the 450 or 500 sportsman. But that is just my thoughts on the matter, it all comes down to what you like, and how the bike feels when you are on it. But if you can and the dealer will let you try a couple out and see what they are like for driving and handling and make you mind up on that, not on price and colour (color for you guys down there). Tudball
  9. sledboy

sledboy Junior Member

OK. I just purchased two Hawkeyes about 3 weeks ago, one 2-wheel drive and one 4-wheel drive. We live in Utah and ride between 5000 and 9000 feet above sea level.

Now before I go into my rant, I must tell you that I have owned Polaris sleds for the last 15 years and my father had them for 15 years before that. We have always been pleased with them.

Now, there are things I like about the Hawkeyes and things that I don't, like only being able to go 9 mph on them. I can't possibly believe that Polaris even tested these machines above 5000 feet because THEY JUST DON'T RUN. They have released two different updates trying to figure out how to get them to run at elevation. We have had them out three different times and it has been a disaster every time. I know how to jet two strokes, but four strokes are a little different. I tried several things but to no avail. And by the way, I think it is a joke that you have to take off the entire rear rack, rear fenders and several other large items to even get to the carbs.

They are back to the dealership now to see if they can get them to run. They said they will get them running but I am not too optimistic.

I have talked to Tri-City Polaris in Centerville, a premier Polaris dealership with a lot of respect and clout around here, and they said that they have figured out how to get them to run at elevation. I sure hope so!

The rear suspension is not the plush suspension found on the Sportsman and other models. The spring are way to stiff. We are in the process of trying to find other springs. It is softer than some other (solid axle) four wheelers that I have ridden but not as soft as other IFS equiped wheelers.

Now, having said that, I have high hopes that we can get these machines running. There are some things I like about these little machines. I like their size. I am not a big guy and the size is great. Also, guys have said negative things about them not having a low range. Well, Polaris claims to have fugured out a way to get a larger shift range from their clutches. And I have to agree with them. I rode the two wheel drive down about two miles of some of the nastiest, rockiest stretch of road that I have ever been down. It was rock crawling at it's best. And while the stupid thing would not run on the high end, it was great on the bottom. I would place the front tires against tire sized rocks, give it a little gas and it would gently crawl up and on top of them. It was incredible! It was indeed like it was in low range. So, it is my opinion that the lack of low range is not that big of a deal on these machines.

So, I will be picking them up later this week and I hope they have got it figured out. I will let you all know how it goes if you are interested.

And Nursecristi, I would say this machine would be great for a person your size, if you live at lower elevations and if you are not too sensitive to the stiff rear suspension.
  10. Mike

We would be very happy to hear updates, as there has been more than one occasion of people voicing displeasure for this bike in high elevations.
  11. Iggy

Iggy Polaris Hawkeye 2006

Hawkeye Mod for high alt above 6000 ft

Sledboy
    I have a 06 Hawkeye and travel above 6000 ft here in Arizona with the temps above 80 degrees.
    The mod that we use is to drill 6 each 5/8 inch holes in the top of the airbox in the rear. 3 holes on the right and 3 holes on the left.
    Below 6000 ft I just use a strip of duct tape over them but you could buy the rubber plugs if you are around water. We don't have water in Arizona. LOL

Solves my problems and I have been up well over 7000 ft.

Iggy in Arizona