97 KVF 400 Prairie Cam Timing

Discussion in 'Kawasaki ATV' started by Hackpirate, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Hackpirate

Hackpirate New Member

I had this 400 apart to replace the cyl. base gasket and now getting it back together with a light hone and new rings, but:

I cannot get the timing mark on the cam sprocket to line up with the top of the head plane as the manual instructs. No, I didn't wire tie the chain and sprocket together, got that info too late. With the chain tight on the exhaust side the line dips below the head plane and 1 tooth over will put the line slightly above the same distance. I checked with the tensioner in place and did as the manual says with the crank on the "T" mark.

I left it with the timing line above the plane but if someone can give me a good reason to take it apart and do it properly I would be indebted, but still not happy. :(

Thanks
    Hackpirate
  2. caveman_97

caveman_97 Active Member

If you don't line up the timing correctly you will damage your engine, very bad things will happen. valve timing is very critical.
  3. Hackpirate

Hackpirate New Member

There is no interference the way it is now, haven't run it yet though.
  4. caveman_97

caveman_97 Active Member

It won't run correctly...low power, may back fire through intake...
  5. Dan

Dan Super Moderator Staff Member

The 400 engine will run with advanced intake timing but it won't run properly as caveman said. You will need to replace the worn cam chain in order to get it to line up properly.
  6. caveman_97

caveman_97 Active Member

Hey Dan..... he said he installed it one tooth off. I don't know if he is saying the chain is stretched, or not
  7. caveman_97

caveman_97 Active Member

If it's got a lot of mileage on it, it probably would be a good idea to change the chain.
  8. Dan

Dan Super Moderator Staff Member

90% of the time when you can't get the timing perfect, like its either one tooth too far advanced or delayed its because the chain is stretched... I don't know if 90% is accurate but it seems like a good number so lets go with that, lol.
  9. Hackpirate

Hackpirate New Member

For a 97 this ATV would be a low mileage unit. ( no odometer though ) But still, probably a stretched chain causing my problem.

I drove it for a few minutes without any plastic or a seat and it runs fine, but I couldn't really check it our power-wise since I need to go easy with new rings etc. Seems like I hear some timing chain slap but that could have always been there and the engine is uncovered. Does the tensioner ratchet indicate chain stretch? I might pull it out later and see how far it has extended for reference.

I really appreciate you guys chiming in and giving me input. Thanks a bunch!!